· Beach break : waves breaking on a sandy bottom.
· Curl : hollowest part of the wave.
· Right : wave rolling to the right of the starting surfer.
· Flat : ocean without waves.
· Left : wave rolling to the left of the starting surfer.
· Glassy : ocean offering a smooth gliding surface with no wind or offshore wind.
· Inside : wave breaking zone.
· Line up : area where surfers wait for the breaking of the wave.
· Peak : point where the breaking of the wave begins.
· Point break : breaking wave on rock bottom.
· Reef break : wave unrolling on a coral bottom.
· Set : wave series.
· Shore break : wave breaking directly on the edge of the shore.
· Spot : place where we surf.
· Swell : swell.
· Wind on shore : offshore wind crushing the waves.
· Offshore wind: land wind creating waves.
· Aerial : takeoff above the wave.
· Bottom turn : turn at the bottom of the wave and pick up speed.
· Cut back : long inside turn to return to the foam.
· Floater : controlled skid on the edge of the wave.
· Kick-out : jump behind the wave.
· Off the lip : turn on the lip of the wave.
· Re-entry : skating on the lip of a closing wave.
· Roller : turn at the top of the wave.
· Session : surf time.
· Take off : departure on the wave and first descent.
· Three sixty : full turn.
· Tube : the surfer enters the roll formed by the wave.
· Wipe Out : unclassifiable maneuver or very very beautiful fall.
· Backside : standing on the board.
· Frontside : standing facing the wave.
· Goofy foot : right foot forward.
· Natural foot : left foot forward (regular).
· Gun : big wave board, tapered, between 8' and 10'.
· Leash : cord that holds the board to the surfer.
· Lycra : anti-irritation T-shirt worn under the suit.
· Pad : non-slip.
· Shorty : wetsuit with short sleeves, short legs in neoprene.
· Wax : paraffin that is put on the board so as not to slip.
· Shaper : from English (shape). The one who designs and manufactures the board.
Magnet Surf School - 18 Boulevard de Pralognan la Vanoise - 29160 Crozon France